Monday, October 27, 2014

Scalp and Hair Growth Oil Week 1 Update

My DIY Scalp and Hair Growth Oil - Week 1 Update


I have two main goals for my hair as we transition from autumn to winter.

First, I want to retain at least two inches of hair growth by the holidays. I had a tremendous growth spurt over the spring and summer, partly due to Hairlista's coconut oil challenge.

Yet, because of "life", it's been tedious to keep up that challenge regimen. So although my hair is continuing to get thicker, my growth rate is back on tortoise speed.

My second goal is to relieve my scalp of dryness. With the change of weather, my scalp has been dry than normal. The crown of my head has felt very extremely dry and itchy.

So I composed a DIY scalp and hair growth oil made of the following eight essential and carrier oils that works well for all hair types. Watch the video below to see how I mix and apply the oils.



Carrier Oils

~ Coconut Oil {full of nutrients and anti-bacterial properties}
~ Almond Oil {high vitamin E content}
~ Jamaican Black Castor Oil {promotes rapid hair growth}
~ Hemp Seed Oil {contains essential fatty acid and strengthens hair}

Essential Oils

~ Rosemary Oil {stimulates hair follicles}
~ Cedarwood Oil {has anti-fungal properties and stimulates the scalp}
~ Lavender Oil {promotes hair growth and even regrowth}
~ Tea Tree Oil {soothes the scalp and prevents dandruff}


Application


I lightly apply my growth oil directly to my scalp every evening before bed. With my fingertips I gently massage the oil stimulating blood flow. On wash days I saturate my scalp with the oil, pre-poo the rest of my hair with coconut oil, put on a plastic cap and let it sit for at least an hour before cleansing.


Week 1 ~ First Impression


After the first application of the oil, I could feel the tingling of the essential oils, but not so much since then. So today, I will add a few extra drops of the tea tree, lavender, and rosemary oils.

On day five, the itchiness at the crown of my head has subsided.

The smell of the essential oils packs a punch, but I enjoy the aromatherapy of these oils. The fragrance lingers on the hair for a few hours. I am applying the oil lightly, so after a few hours the aroma fades away. My husband hasn't even noticed. ;)

After only 1 week it's difficult to track hair growth. This is especially the case for me because I am over 8 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is tightly coiled/curly.

Next Monday after week two I will measure my hair against my length check shirt. I started week one between lines 7 and 8. This is where I was on my last relaxer update video. Hence my perception of turtle like growth. If there is breakage going on in the back, I have not noticed.

Overall, I am very excited to have relief from the itching and dryness, and time will tell the story as to how the oil will help my hair growth. Patience is key!


Subscribe for more relaxed hair care information!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment