Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Natural Deodorant Using Coconut Oil

This is my last "DIY in July" post but no worries. As I try new homemade beauty recipes for the hair and skin, I will continue to share them here on the blog!

Natural (2 ingredient) Deodorant Featuring Coconut Oil 

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is all natural and has properties that kill odor causing bacteria. That makes this deodorant a natural and healthy way to treat the skin under your arms.

I use this deodorant daily and prefer it over deodorants purchased off the shelf. It is less expensive, not filled with ingredients I can't pronounce and it's very effective! I exercise often and sometimes find myself in high stress situations, so I need something that works.

Many people use coconut oil alone as a deodorant, but for my DIY, I am adding baking soda to assist in controlling wetness and absorbing odor.

That's right. You only need two ingredients!

1. Coconut Oil
2. Baking Soda

You will also need a mixing bowl, measuring tool, a spoon for mixing, and a container to store your homemade deodorant.


The quantity of coconut oil and baking soda depends on how much deodorant you would like to make. I find that using equals parts of coconut oil and baking soda makes a nice blend that is easy to apply.

Today I am using 1/8 cup of coconut oil and 1/8 cup of baking soda.


After you place both ingredients in a bowl, mix until they are well blended.


At this point, you may add a few drops of essential oil. Lavender and lemon oil are great for the skin and adds a nice fragrance. Bergamot oil is another favorite for homemade deodorants. It has disinfectant properties and fights against germs that cause body odor.

Today, I'm keeping it simple. I love simple... especially if it is just as effective. Plus, the coconut oil alone smells amazing!



Once your deodorant is well blended, it is ready to pour into a container.


I am recycling an old body butter container. When I finish up butters and lotions that I purchase from a store, I hold on to the containers for DIY projects. It's a nice way to recycle!


Once you pour it into your container your deodorant is complete! No, this is not your traditional solid. The consistency reminds me of a roll on type deodorant but a bit thicker.  

After I shower, I dip two fingers into the deodorant and massage it into my underarms. A little goes a long way so you don't need a big scoop.

If you are unsure how your skin will respond or you are prone to allergies, do a small skin test first. Also I found that using coconut oil alone (without baking soda) is more soothing to my skin immediately after shaving. 


I seal the deodorant with a lid and store it in a cool place. This homemade natural deodorant will leave the skin under your arms feeling smooth, clean, and fragrant. 

Have you tried this or a similar homemade deodorant? How did it work for you?


Here's to healthy skin the natural way!

~Candra

2 comments:

  1. I had bought a homemade deodorant from Sarenzo bath & body and I looked at the ingredients and I was like I have all this in my closet already! I'm definitely going to try making it with coconut oil and the avocado butter I have. But I know that too much baking soda burns my arms so I might have to try a 2 to 1 ratio first. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip regarding the baking soda. The only time it bothers my skin is right after shaving. I use coconut oil only on those days and it still works great. Using avocado butter sounds wonderful. I'll have to try that! Let me know how it works for you.

      Delete